Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"BIS BUYS OUT BAINS: AMARINDER PROMISES MEDIA MANDIKARAN BOARD IF VOTED TO POWER"

EXTRACT

"Amarinder famously wrote his own press notes as conceived and dictated to by his Media Advisor. I have heard that Bharat was "reasonably satisfied" with Amarinder's drafting skills and had once even sugested swapping of jobs between them, an offer which Amarinder had to politely decline, realising that writing press notes is one thing and getting these published quite another. It was at the latter art that Amarinder -- or anyone for that matter-- was no match for the rampaging media management skills of Sardar Chahal."



A few days back, I had invited inputs from media persons, officers, politicos, police personnel, real esate big players and men and women from some other high profile butlow paid professions, apart also from some low-profile and "highly paying though not highly paid" professions. I ahd requested them to please give me in puts on a piece I wanted to write on my predecessor in my present assignment. Not a single line has been recieved by me so far on the 'exploits and imploits" of Sardar Bharat Inder Singh Chahal, formerly Media Advisor to the then Chief Minister of Punjab, Captain Amaridner Singh.
Amarinder famously wrote his own press notes as conceived and dictated to by his Media Advisor. I have heard that Bharat was "reasonably satisfied" with Amarinder's drafting skills and had once even sugested swapping of jobs between them, an offer which Amarinder had to politely decline, realising that writing press notes is one thing and getting these published quite another. It was at the latter art that Amarinder -- or anyone for that matter-- was no match for the rampaging media management skills of Sardar Chahal.
Are people - including media fraternity -- still so scared of my great prdecessor that they don't want to commit themselves on anything concerning him. Or has BIS CHAHAL been written off even before I decided to write on him? Anyway, I find him an "exciting" subject to write about. And I repeat my request once again, this time hoping that the newsy manager of news would get written about.

And I assure everyone that my piece on BIS Chahal would be objective and free from any perosnal animosity or bitterness. ( I have already instructed the cops manning my gate any roly poly good humoured guest coming in with armfuls of gifts be allowed in without any frisking, especially without frisking the gifts.

I like Bharat Inder Singh Chahal for many things, his SantaBanta -- no, Santa Claus -- penchant for backing every pen with most expensive gifts being of special interest to me. If I have to be corrupted, then I would rather that it is done by the one man who knows how to "right-price" talent. Heere ki kadar to siraf johri he jaan sakta hai.
Was there a move to make him the Chairman of the Punjab "Media" Mandikaran Board during Amarinder regime?

And I humbly request my friends in the Fourth Estate, especially those in the "electric shock media" not to rush to print with half baked stories on BIS designs to turn me into some sort of a Trojan Horse in Akali ranks. I dread headlines like BIS BUYS OUT BAINS or BIS SET TO TRADE IN TROJAN HORSES. (My sole sense of relief here follows from the likelyhood that BIS probably has not yet heard of Trojan, though he has sure run horse trading mega project with elan. "But Trojan or Talwandi, horses will be horses" is likely to be the response of my 'friendly' predecessor.)

6 comments:

Gurkirat Singh Dhillon said...

Witty , decent sarcasm Sir....

harcharan bains said...

Thanks indeed. But it is all in good humour.

Gurkirat Singh Dhillon said...

Most of ur blog is literature for which one needs some level of background and time to understand...

This caters to commoners like me...

SATINDER BAINS said...

Just to share with u the management skills of BIS Chahal, I tell an instance when the then Governor S.S.Ray personally called him over phone to say thanks for the good coverage of an event. After hangig off the phone, Chahal told few media persons present there, "Governor Da phone see. Je kite mainu english ayundi hundi, tan Governor app chal ke mere ghar aya karda". And it is fact that English remained chahal's major handicap. Even then he proved an efficient media manager for those, most matter to him.

harcharan bains said...

I personally have very ghigh regards for Mr. Chahal's professional skills and competence. The knowledge of language simply did not matter in his case because he never needed it; his talents lay in a different direction, and he used those well. It was not his fault that the Congress governemnt between got the worst possible media between 2002 and 2007, the only time he was put in charge of handling an entire government's campaign as advisor to the Chief Minister. One of the reasons why Captain Amaridner Singh lost his government was that he was out-gunned by the Sukhbir charge in the media. My own ways with the media are quite diefferent from Mr. Chahal's. Different, not better or worse. Each one of us has his/her own special talents, and Chahal ahd his -- and quite remarkable talents. I have always believed in repecting my rivals, and it is no different in the case of Chahal.

Anonymous said...

i have few couplets to share by somebody ( shabo roj mausam badalte rahe naye gam purano mein dhalte rahe ,na badla kabhi bikne walon ka roop khariddar cherhre badalte rahe , aur yeh voh jagah hai jahan eh hasan khare khote ek saath chalte rahe)akali and congress have only difference of color of pagri otherwise they are both scoundrels