Monday, July 30, 2012

HAZEL: Finally, silence is beginning to sing.


The important thing in life is not to be heard; the important thing in life is to find out what is it that will be heard. The important thing is to beat with the heartbeat of the ones you are talking to. The important thing is to hear your own voice to know how it must sound to others. I find a long life laid waste not just in stubborn refusal to listen to hearts that beat in bosoms other than mine own, but in a failure to hear even my own voice.     The important thing, I said, was to hear one's own voice to know how it must sound to others. I found a long life laid wasted,  not just in stubborn refusal to listen to hearts that beat away from my bosom, but also in a failure to hear even my own voice. Most times I didn't hear what I was speaking but only what I thought I should be  speaking. "Most times , my words did not speak my meaning but my desire for meaning. Most times, my words were nothing more than claws of some unknown longing that sought only sound but missed the silence from where they sprang.
It is bad enough if your words are meaningless and don't make sense. But its worse if your  silence too is meaningless and makes no sense. Fear the meaninglessness of your silence."

Most times I didn't hear what I was speaking but only what I thought I should have been speaking. Most times , my words did not speak my meaning but my desire for meaning. Most times, my words were nothing more than claws of some unknown longing that sought only sound but missed the silence from where they sprang. 

It seems finally, silence is beginning to sing. And it is so peaceful all around. Will it last? Should I bother ?

No comments: