Sunday, January 24, 2010

CAVES ARE DARK AND ANCIENT

(To a friend whose sunshine occasionally lits up my caves)



I sing odes to immortality - immortality that will die with me. I do not want immortality to outlast me.


CAVES ARE DARK AND ANCIENT, BUT A FLASH OF LIGHTENING NOW AND THEN REVEALS THEIR TRUTHS. THEY ARE SUNNY ONLY AT THE GATES, EXCEPT IF YOU CARRY SUNSHINE IN YOUR HEART WHILE YOU ENTER THERE.

Truth is transient and always and only yours to keep or wear it on your sleeve. And yes, the caves are ancient, the darker the farther you go into them. Thats what caverns are all about. They are made sunny under the fleeting flashlight of experience of the moment. Thus it has been and thus shall it ever be.

I retain in me the curiosity I first felt when I glanced at this world as an infant. There is nothing in this world that you and I , and all the others we know, do not know already. And yet, I choose to travel back blindfold on trodden paths so I may feel the thrill of discovering what I already know. This world is a make-believe, I have always held, and as a make-believe, it is as exciting, as painful, as graceful and as degrading as it would be were it real. And since we have known it only as a make believe, we do not even know how it would be different were it real.

I flirt with the flashy and changing patterns of this make-believe - in the absence of anything more real. I romance its untruth and glorify its transience. For me, immortality is nothing but the pouring of the whole spacetime into a single moment- this moment.

I sing odes to immortality - immortality that will die with me. I do not want immortality to outlast me. It is mine to keep.
And what I do in the caves is self-love and self-play. There can indeed be no ove without self-love, and all the play we lose ourselves in is a self-play. Remove the self, and the stage collapses. No illusions there, except that for me, since there is nothing more tangible that exists in this world, illusions are the only reality there is.
And thanks for your wonderful insigths -- wonderful for me. I am a child and relish the play of shadows. All castles are built of sand, and as castles of sand , they are lovable.

Do not look for concrete except if you want to remain stuck in time.

No comments: