Sunday, May 2, 2010

HAZEL: STINK IN MY SOUL - FROM DELHI '84 TO GUJRAT; FROM KASHMIR TO BENGAL AND THE TAJ MUMBAI

STINK IN MY SOUL - FROM DELHI '84 TO GUJRAT; FROM KASHMIR TO BENGAL AND THE TAJ MUMBAI

" Hatred in my heart is a worse and more dreadful sin than blood on my hands. Murder is loud, unpretentious and much less prevalent than hate; hatred is ubiquitous,a surreptitious hypocrite and a parasite:it kills the heart it flatters. But neither will spare the marrrow in your bones, blood in your veins and oxygen in your heart. Murder is mothered by hate."



Nazar woh jo dushamn pe bhi meharbaan ho/
Zubaan woh jo ik piyaar ki dastaan ho.

Dear Amrita, let me take you back to my Gujrat Golden Jubilee note which is only about the show. I was at pains even to underline that as for as Modi is concerned, everyone has an opinion and everyone can be right, because truth is never unidimensional. In any case, i was not -- and am not -- making a statement on Modi. But why do you say "whatever he might do", you would still not tolerate him? After all, millions of people have opted for him over and over again. And that option has to do with their destiny, so they should know what they are doing. But if you are referring to the massacre of Muslims in Modi's state, I also believe that , alongwith the massacre of Sikhs in 1984 and the killing of innocents by terrorists , that remains a stink in India's soul. There is no question of not agreeing with you on howone must react to the perpetrators of this outrage against humanity. But why don't you have a similar sense of outrage against the father and mother of Rahul Gandhi who openly justified the 84 massacre? Do you hate Rajiv as much as you hate Modi? Do you think that one killer , for whatever reason, is less of a killer than the other? No, I am not advocating hatred towards ANYONE. Far from it, I am just making sure that you are not being partial. You can not seek human rights norms for Kasab and a "hang by the nearest tree" verdict for Modi. For me, Gujrat, Delhi, Kashmir and Mumbai (The Taj!) stand in the same que and their script writers must be shot or forgiven togehter. But personally, I am unable to hate the criminal and downplay the crime. If I hate, I must hate both with equal intensity. I look at it this way: Hatred in my heart is a worse and more dreadful sin than blood on my hands. One is likely to commit murder far less often than indulge in hatred, and therefore, hatred is more dangerous and cleverer enemy than even murder. Murder is loud and unpretentious; hatred is a surreptitious hypocrite and a parasite -- it kills the heart it flatters. But be equially watchful against both because neither will spare the marrrow in your bones, blood in veins and oxygen in your lungs and heart.

MURDER IS MOTHERED BY HATE.

No comments: