Monday, August 11, 2014

The Rakhi debate -contd.

I am truly touched to the core by your words, sir, and by your enlightened approach to differences of opinion on ideological issues. Your views on religious processions, the use of loud speakers etc truly come as relief.
I feel it a blessing for me for a person of your learning to allow me to agree to differ with you on a few things - like Rakhi, for instance - and still continue to have respect for each other, although almost all of this respect between us belongs to you . After this,I am emboldened to say that even if Rakhi had been an empty ritual for me personally, I would still have totally respected the sentiments of those who find a lot of sentimental worth in it - as I do now..
We agree to differ on Rakhi , and this is a measure of your intellectual magnanimity .
I look forward to interacting with you in future also - more in the nature of learning from you through discussion .

I have a some reservations ,sir, on some of the things contained in your earlier post and I will take the liberty of in-boxing my views to you for a dispassionate look at things.

I am obliged that you forgive me my political views. Quite honestly, i regard my politics as a very small part of who I am.

I humbly wish to make use of this opportunity to share a little more on how I view a proximity to and respect for the Hindu, the Muslim and the Christian ways of life as a tribute to egalitarian spirit taught to us by our great Gurus - one of whom is also described as "Hindu ka Guru, Muslim ka pir."

The spectacle of my Hindu brethren coming to Gurdwaras does not give me any communal pride but it does fill me with respect for their magnanimous approach to religion.

Likewise,, I respect the Sikhs who accompany their Christian friends to Churches and Hindu friends to Templesand Muslims to mosques and observe the norms of their religion at their holy places out of a heartfelt respect for each other's sentiments.I have never felt that my paying respect to the religious beliefs and customs of other religions can ever come in the way of my religious persuasions.If anything, these things merely fill my heart with more humility and reverence towards what the Gurus taught us.

Similarly, sir, when I take pride in the brave Sikhs/Khalsa rescuing Hindu women from invading marauders, I am also filled with reverence for the brave Hindus who came forward courageously to stand by the Guru when the beloved Sahibzadas were martyred and their mortal remains had to be consigned to elements - as at Sirhind . Every Khalsa who risked his life to save the honour of Hindu women as a part of his duty of honour must also have been reminded of Bhai Todar Mall and many others of his kind from among the Hindus.To these brave and enlightened Hindu followers of the Guru we owe a debt of gratitude which can never be repaid. These bonds sparkle like gems in history. 

I must learn from you in due course of time ,sir, more on what our great Gurus taught us on open-minded approach to spiritual pursuits.I am greatly touched by the humility and modesty with which you have sought to understate your own learning and scholarship and also your profound knowledge of Sikh history and religion. It is thanks to your truly liberal and tolerant approach only that I have been able to express my views on an extremely sensitive issue in such a free and open manner . I intend to put more demands on your time, tolerance and learning in days to come.
Meanwhile, I will try to deserve at least some of the kind words you have spoken about me.Please accept my sincerest gratitude for that, sir. . 

No comments: